I've been crocheting baby blankets for a year or so, but they are very time consuming, so I was looking for a new idea and my friend, Ashley, saw a picture of these sacks for newborns that are so cute! She showed me how to make one and it was pretty easy so here is the first one I made awhile ago. I'm not sure about the size since I don't have a newborn to try it on, but I think it will work. It has thin ribbon threaded through the top that ties to hold it in place. The sack is supposed to fit around a baby's chest to keep them swaddled and their arms stay tucked in. (Wish I had a picture of a baby in it!)
This is another one I just finished for a friend having a baby shower this weekend (hopefully she won't check the blog before that :-)). I used thicker satin ribbon in cream and brown hoping to be gender-neutral since she doesn't know the sex of the baby. I made it a little smaller than my first one so hopefully it will fit a newborn well! I also made a little hat that matches but don't have a picture of that. The ribbon is optional, but I think it adds a nice touch.
This next one is my latest creation. I found a picture online of a sack very similar and decided to give it a whirl. I thought it would be nice to have one with straps so an older baby can use it once their arms need to be free, but you don't have the worry of an extra blanket in the crib. Since I was working without a pattern, it was pretty tough to figure out the right size. You have to excuse the bell shaped bottom and the large size :-) It's even a little big on Lee! I wasn't sure how wide to make it so I decreased the size as I worked up, however, probably decreased it too quickly, which is why the bottom looks like a flare skirt. The straps are a little too long too. Poor Lee was my guinea pig and I kept holding it up to him to measure. At least now I have a better idea of what to do and the next one will be much better. The side opens up about halfway so it's easier to get on and off and the side straps keep it closed.
Lee was already fussy when I decided to take this picture so I guess I was asking for a meltdown :-) Lee sleeps with a blanket now, but hopefully another baby can use this cute sack. If not, it will at least serve as a good reference point when I make another one.
This shows it with straps off and open.
Thanks for letting me share my work!
9 comments:
You are so creative Mer!! I wish I had some of that in my brain. Love the one you made for your friend.
Those little baby sacks are just too precious. What a good idea. I am busy working on a birth sampler for baby Margaret. Only two months to wait until we meet her. Give Lee 3 a big old kiss and hug from Uncle Marvin and Aunt Arlene.
Beautiful work, Mere! I haven't done any knitting in so long... :( That pic of Lee is hilarious!! Good luck, little Lee, I am sure that will not be the only time your mom makes you try on her creations!
They turned out so cute! I'm glad you posted them. Lee looks so cute in his. :)
Wow, I'm very impressed. I've been wanting to learn to crochet for a while now and definitely want to try these things out!
Those are ADORABLE! I love that idea! You are so talented!
You are such a pro....I like the thin delicate ribbon the best...more babyish !!!
You'll have to tell me how you made these... I think they are super cute... I knit... don't know how to crochet though...
I LOVE these! I get to see Ashley in a couple of weeks and I am going to beg her to teach me how to knit!
Post a Comment