I'm sitting at home checking email and looking at blogs and the house is very quiet. Why is that? I'll tell you...because Shelby is spending the night at the vet. It's a long story and kind of gross so I'll try to be sensitive to both your time and your tummies.
Shelby loves to play in the backyard (she stays out there all day while we're at work) and she eats everything...sticks, rocks, grass, bugs, etc. So, 2 nights ago I'm home with her when all of a sudden I hear this gagging noise and realize she's about to be sick. Before I can get her outside, she "has an accident." I look down and there are 2 huge rocks (a little smaller that the size of ping pong balls) there on the ground. I think to myself, "Silly dog eating rocks. At least they are out now." Well last night I come home from work and feed her and she took forever to eat her food which is very strange for her. She usually inhales it whole in about 5.2 seconds! I didn't think much of it until, oh yes, the gagging sound again. To spare you the details, I'll just say she got sick a couple times. This morning she wouldn't even touch her food. Now, I knew something was wrong. I called the vet and he said to definitely bring her in.
And what did we find?...You guessed it...My dog is full of rocks from stomach to butt. The X-ray made it clear. She had a big rock in her stomach, another couple in the intestines, and a few more lower down. All that to say that she got some Metamucil via a tube down her throat and is staying the night so they can do another X-ray and see if the rocks have moved at all. If not, then poor Shelby may have to have surgery :-( I'm really hoping and praying that doesn't happen! I'll keep you posted.
If you have pets and can relate to my worry, please keep me in your prayers tonight and tomorrow.
Tip: make sure your yard is free of rocks before you have a dog
3 comments:
I am so sorry to hear about Shelby- what an unsettling time. She is so blessed to have a "mommy" that loves her as much as you do. I am glad you had a fun retreat; girl time can be such fun, especially when there is a spiritual element too.
Oh, Mere! That's horrible! I wonder what was on those rocks that made them so tasty. Poor Shelbs.
I poop rocks all the time. Now, I don't eat them but they look like rocks when they come out!
Post a Comment